When it comes to skincare, especially the under-eye area, choosing the right oils is essential for addressing concerns like wrinkles, puffiness, and dark circles. The skin around the eyes is thinner and more sensitive, demanding special care, which is why looking after this area is crucial for a fresh and youthful look.
Today, we’ll explore the top oils that help keep this area moisturized and wrinkle-free. Whether you’re dealing with dry skin or want to smooth out fine lines, we’ve got you covered with the best options to brighten and refresh your eyes.
Which Oil to Use?
When it comes to this delicate area, oils that proved to be the most efficient are carrier and essential oils.
- Almond Oil: Rich in Vitamin E, it’s gentle and nourishing, ideal for sensitive skin. It helps in reducing puffiness and improving skin tone.
- Jojoba Oil: Its composition is similar to the skin’s natural sebum. It’s hydrating and can help in reducing the appearance of fine lines.
- Rosehip Oil: Known for its anti-aging properties, it’s packed with vitamins and antioxidants. It can help in minimizing dark circles and wrinkles.
- Lavender Oil: Renowned for its soothing properties. It can reduce puffiness and promote relaxation but must be used in very small quantities.
- Frankincense Oil: It may help in rejuvenating tired skin and smoothing out wrinkles, giving a more youthful appearance.
- Chamomile Oil: Known for its calming effects, it’s beneficial for reducing inflammation and soothing sensitive skin.
- Dilution is Key: Essential oils should be diluted with a carrier oil to prevent irritation.
- Patch Test: Always do a patch test to check for allergic reactions.
- Avoid Direct Eye Contact: Be cautious to avoid getting oils in the eyes.
- Consultation: If you have specific skin concerns or conditions, consulting a dermatologist is advisable.
- Choose appropriate oils for the under-eye area to address wrinkles, puffiness, and dark circles
- Carrier and essential oils can provide moisture, nourishment, and other benefits to the delicate eye area
- Safety tips should be followed when using oils around the eyes to ensure optimal results and prevent irritation
TOP CARRIER OILS
Jojoba oil is an excellent choice for the delicate skin around the eyes due to its similarities to our skin’s natural sebum.
This oil is easily absorbed by the skin, forms a protective layer to prevent dryness, and has anti-inflammatory properties. Jojoba oil softens the skin, reduces fine lines, and may help reduce puffiness.
Rich in beta-carotene (a natural source of vitamin A), antioxidants, and essential fatty acids, rosehip oil offers various benefits for under-eye skin. It supports collagen production, reduces dark circles, and makes the skin brighter.
Squalane oil is a common ingredient in eye serums and creams because of its gentle, lubricating, and moisturizing properties.
It’s known for being anti-inflammatory, soothing, and balancing sebum production. Squalane oil is lightweight and non-comedogenic, making it a top pick for under-eye skincare.
4. Sea Buckthorn
Sea buckthorn oil contains rare omega-7 fatty acids that promote skin renewal. This oil is also a natural source of provitamin A and essential fatty acids and has anti-inflammatory and non-comedogenic properties.
5. Evening Primrose Oil
Containing a high amount of linoleic acid (which is essential for the skin barrier), evening primrose oil can be beneficial for preventing moisture loss and protecting the skin from environmental damage.
It also has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, making it suitable for sensitive skin around the eyes.
6. Apricot Kernel
Apricot kernel oil is packed with provitamin A, vitamin E, and vitamin K, making it an excellent choice for reducing dark circles and nourishing the delicate skin around the eyes.
Moreover, it’s known for providing a luxurious, silky touch.
7. Raspberry Seed
Containing vitamin E, provitamin A, and essential fatty acids, raspberry seed oil is an excellent choice for the delicate skin around the eyes.
This oil also contains sterols, which prevent moisture loss and protect the skin from oxidative damage.
Grapeseed oil is a lightweight choice for the delicate skin around the eyes. It’s high in linoleic acid and antioxidants, including carotenoids, flavonoids, and trans-resveratrol.
Additionally, its astringent properties may help combat swollen or puffy eyes.
Olive oil is rich in carotenoids (such as beta-carotene), antioxidants, and fatty acids. Furthermore, its high oleic acid content may make it suitable for dry skin.
The various antioxidants in olive oil make it an excellent choice for preventing dark circles and improving skin elasticity.
10. Fractionated Coconut Oil
Fractionated coconut oil is a lightweight, fast-absorbing oil that is less comedogenic than regular coconut oil. It can provide the under-eye area with the needed moisturization without clogging pores.
Sweet almond oil is a natural source of vitamin E, fatty acids, and plant sterols that can keep the skin supple and hydrated.
Applying almond oil to the under-eye area may help tighten the skin and improve its tone, thus minimizing the appearance of fine lines and dark circles.
Essential oils can offer benefits for the delicate skin around the eyes, including improving the appearance of wrinkles, dark circles, and puffiness. To ensure safe and effective use, follow these guidelines:
- Use a lower dilution of 0.5%, or 1 drop of essential oil for every 2 teaspoons of carrier oil, for the eye area.
- Choose essential oils that are safe for the skin and have high dermal limits, which makes them less likely to cause irritation.
Below is a table showcasing beneficial essential oils for the skin around the eyes along with their benefits:
|Inflammation, sensitive skin
|Wrinkles, inflammation, oily skin, dry skin, mature skin, scars
|Inflammation, greasy skin, cracked skin
|Wrinkles, broken capillaries, scars, mature and dry skin
|Wrinkles, dry and dull complexion
|Wrinkles, inflammation, cracked skin
|Wrinkles, toner, mature and dry skin, inflammation
|Scars, inflammation, oily skin
|Mature skin, dry skin, wrinkles
The essential oils listed in the table have been documented for their skin benefits in the Evidence-Based Complementary & Alternative Medicine journal.
Please note that it’s generally better to purchase a quality eye cream or serum containing these essential oils, as they are usually formulated with the proper amounts for safe application.
Additionally, caffeine has astringent properties that can help reduce the appearance of under-eye bags and wrinkles.
To incorporate this ingredient into your at-home skincare routine, consider adding a few drops of coffee essential oil to your preferred carrier oil.
NATURAL PRODUCTS FOR THE EYE AREA
1. Simply Eye SerumCheck on Amazon Check on Walmart
The Simply Eye Serum features sweet almond and hazelnut oils, both rich in vitamin E, which have antioxidant properties that help improve signs of oxidative damage, such as discoloration. Additionally, baobab oil provides vitamin A, supporting skin renewal.
Essential oils such as frankincense, rosemary, and cypress add a soothing touch, with frankincense being particularly beneficial for wrinkles and cypress contributing astringent properties to tighten the skin.
2. Coffee Eye Lift SerumCheck on Amazon Check on iHerb
Coffee Eye Lift Serum has coffee as its main ingredient, offering anti-inflammatory and depuffing properties. It also contains nourishing oils like rosehip, pomegranate, argan, and watercress to soothe the skin around the eyes.
This blend of oils makes it an ideal choice for those who seek an effective, natural eye serum for their skincare routine.
1. Can under-eye oils replace my regular eye cream?
Under-eye oils can complement your eye cream by providing additional hydration and targeted benefits like reducing puffiness or dark circles. However, they may not replace the comprehensive care of specially formulated creams that often contain a blend of hydrating, firming, and brightening ingredients.
2. How often should I apply oils to the under-eye area?
It’s generally safe to apply these once or twice daily, typically in the morning and before bedtime after cleansing your face. However, the frequency can depend on your skin type and the specific oil you’re using. Always start with a patch test and observe how your skin responds to determine the best routine.
3. Are there any under-eye oils that also offer SPF protection?
Most under-eye oils do not contain SPF protection. It’s important to use a separate sunscreen or eye cream with SPF to protect the delicate under-eye area from UV damage. However, some may have natural antioxidants that can indirectly support skin health against sun exposure.
4. Can I use under-eye oils if I have eyelash extensions?
If you have eyelash extensions, it’s important to avoid oils around the eye area as they can weaken the glue and cause the extensions to fall out prematurely. Consult with your lash technician for recommended products that won’t affect your extensions.
5. Do under-eye oils help with milia prevention or treatment?
While these oils can hydrate and nourish the skin, they are not specifically targeted for milia treatment. Milia are small, white cysts caused by keratin trapped beneath the skin’s surface. If you’re prone to milia, look for non-comedogenic oils and consider consulting a dermatologist for appropriate treatments.
6. Is it safe to mix different under-eye oils for enhanced benefits?
Mixing oils can be beneficial if you understand the properties of each and ensure they are compatible with your skin type. It’s often recommended to mix a carrier oil with a small amount of essential oil for added benefits. However, always do a patch test first and consult with a skincare professional if unsure about the combinations.
Selecting the right oil for your under-eye area can make a significant difference in your skin’s appearance and health. We’ve explored a variety of oils known for their hydrating and anti-aging properties, each offering unique benefits to keep your skin supple, smooth, and youthful.
You can choose a single oil or a blend, however, keep in mind that consistency and care are key to seeing results. Embrace the natural power of these oils and enjoy a refreshed, rejuvenated look that highlights the beauty of your eyes.