THE WEDGE — Fifty-five notable houses built between 1882 and 1920 make up the newly created Lowry Hill East Historic Residential District.
The City Council voted Aug. 21 to approve the historic district, located close to the center of the neighborhood better known as The Wedge. The district includes the 1902 John G. Gluek house, 2447 Bryant Ave. S., which already is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The houses included in the district are mainly located on the 2300 and 2400 blocks of Aldrich, Bryant and Colfax avenues. The area was an early “streetcar suburb,” a section of the city that developed around the expanding system of streetcar lines.
The designation protects the exterior of the buildings. Architectural styles prominent in the district include Queen Anne and Colonial Revival.
Ward 10 Council Member Lisa Bender nominated the district for study.
Read more about the historic district here.