It’s time to break out the spandex.
Minneapolis Bike Week is underway with tons of activities planned throughout the week.
Here’s a rundown of events. For more details, go to www.mplsbikeweek.org
• Monday, May 11: Fix it Day — learn how to fix and tune up your bike at commuter pit stops throughout the city.
• Tuesday, May 12: Go by Bike Day — see what it’s like to be a bike commuter. There is also a Commuter Challenge planned from Target Field Station to Minnehaha Park. Festivities start at 4 p.m. and conclude with a celebration at 6 p.m. City Council Member Lisa Bender will be racing County Commissioner Marion Greene and the Star Tribune’s Tim Harlow. Bender will be biking, Greene doing a combo of transit and biking and Harlow will be using transit/walking and Car2Go.
• Wednesday, May 13: Nice Ride Day — a chance to try out the city’s bike-sharing program. Nice Ride will be handing out discounted trial memberships and free helmets at Coffman Memorial Union, 11 a.m.–2 p.m.; IDS Center, 11 a.m.–2 p.m.; Nicollet & 26th Street, 11 a.m.–2 p.m.; Broadway & Bryant, 5–7 p.m.; 100 Main Street, 4–6 p.m.; and 10th & Nicollet, 4–6 p.m. Nice Ride is also launching a Gnarly Ride campaign — two custom Gnarly Ride bikes will be added to the Nice Ride system. Riders who post photos featuring a Gnarly Bike on social media with the hashtag #gnarlyride have a chance to win prizes.
• Thursday, May 14: Women’s Day — events will be focused on women/trans/femme cyclists.
• Friday, May 15: Bike to Work Day — there will be group rides throughout the city. There will be a downtown bike expo 11:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m. at the Government Center plaza and post-work joy rides from Gold Medal Park.
• Saturday, May 16: Bike to Small Business Day — bikers will be encouraged to support their local neighborhood businesses. Tangletown businesses are sponsoring a Spring Fling from 11 a.m.–3 p.m. Activities will start at 48th & Nicollet. A bike parade will start at 1 p.m.
• Sunday, May 17: Family Parks Day — families are encouraged to bike to area parks.
Minneapolis Bike Week is organized by the Minneapolis Bike Coalition. Organizers are also seeking volunteers to help with events. If you’re interested, contact Beth Wagner at [email protected].