A juvenile suspect in an Armatage robbery last year will be tried as an adult, according to the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office.
The defendant’s charges relate to a series of robbery incidents in Armatage and Edina in June 2013 and March 2014. The night of March 28, police said the 16-year-old suspect and two other suspects, ages 13 and 18 at the time, followed a man off the bus at 58th & Xerxes and demanded money. The Attorney’s office said the suspects tackled him, stabbed his ribs and took his backpack. The victim survived the injuries.
In court, the defendant who will be tried as an adult has contested whether he was adequately given his Miranda rights. According to Judge William Koch, the young man said “I don’t want to talk” during a March 31 interview, and police proceeded with the interrogation. Koch said police violated the defendant’s right to remain silent, and ruled to suppress the interview. The judge allowed a separate interrogation to remain admissible as evidence.
A jury trial for one of the suspect’s cases is set for Feb. 17.
The suspect’s co-defendant, Navarr Jodia Ross, pled guilty to two counts of aiding and abetting a March 2014 first-degree aggravated robbery at the Southdale Center parking lot. He was sentenced to 68 months in prison in December.
In late December, year-to-date robbery incidents in the 5th Precinct covering Southwest Minneapolis were tracking nearly 11 percent lower than 2013, and nearly 2 percent lower than 2012.