There have been 12 garage burglaries reported to the Minneapolis Police Department’s 5th Precinct in the past week, according to a crime alert released today.
Eleven of the burglaries occurred in unlocked garages, according to police. Bikes have been stolen as well as money in unlocked cars and tools, among other items.
Police offered the following tips to prevent burglaries:
What You Can Do:
- Call 911 on suspicious activity at the time it occurs
- Lock your doors and windows (vehicles, homes, garages)
- Record the make/model/serial number on all valuables (Very important for bikes!)
- Install a deadbolt on your garage service door and consider an audible alarm
- Properly secure your bike with a lock that is difficult to compromise, like a u-lock. Register your bike for free by calling 311 or visit: http://www.minneaoplismn.gov/bicycles/bicycling010/registration
- Do not leave valuables visible inside vehicles (GPS, purse, wallet, laptop or bag, iPod, aftermarket stereo, etc)
More Information & Getting Involved:
- Being a block leader is as easy as forwarding crime alerts to your neighbors. Interested? Contact your CPS to meet at a coffee shop, to become a block club leader:
- Get to know your neighbors on National Night Out, Tuesday August 5th! Want more info or to see if your block will be involved? Visit www.minneapolismn.gov/nno/or call 311
- Subscribe to our e-newsletter. Visit www.minneapolismn.gov/police/precincts/police_about_5th-precinct
- or text SPOTLIGHT to 22828 to get started. The newsletter is email only and comes out 3 times a year.
- Find more crime prevention resources at: www.minneapolismn.gov/police/crimeprevention
- Subscribe to crime trend alerts at: www.minneapolismn.gov/police/crimealert/police_crimealert_signup