Cause of fire unknown at 3043 Grand

The City Council has declared a house at 3043 Grand a hazard to public health following a fire there on Sept. 17.

City staff will monitor the property, and if deemed necessary, they have the authority to raze the structure in an emergency demolition.

The Fire Department doesn’t know precisely what caused the fire and subsequent explosion at the house, but investigators have considered the probability of a gas leak.

Fire Marshal Perry Ebner said the water heater was replaced a few days before the fire, according to the homeowner. CenterPoint Energy determined there was no gas leak leading up to the house, Ebner said, but there could have been an interior leak around an appliance like the water heater or stove.

Due to the extensive damage and the collapse of a load-bearing wall,  there isn’t enough evidence to investigate further, Ebner said.