For years, we’ve tried to figure out a way to support Kingfield and Fulton Farmers Market farmers during the winter. Our meat and cheese vendors produce throughout the cold months. Fish, flour, honey, jam, farm-fresh canned goods and even apples are still available. And besides, who stops craving chocolate, coffee and fantastic baked goods?
Thanks to the good folks at Bachman’s we debut a sure-fire cabin-fever-buster: Saturday, Jan. 26 and Feb. 23 Winter Markets in their warm, humid 6010 Lyndale Ave. greenhouse.
From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., we’ll create a food bazaar, with many of your favorite outdoor vendors and a few cool new touches. Brewing has become a big part of the locavore food culture, so we hope to have Sweetland Orchard’s hard-cider, plus beer and wine by the glass via France 44 pending city approvals. (Subscribe to our @kingfieldmarket and @fultonmarketmn Twitter accounts or Facebook pages for last-minute updates.)
The vendor list combines the best of the Kingfield and Fulton market line-ups — for example, Sun Street Breads and Patisserie 46 under one roof! Here’s the rest of the January list, which includes street food, chocolates, coffee and crafts:
- Braucher’s Sunshine Harvest Farm (fresh eggs and grass-fed beef)
- Gai Gai Thai (brunch!)
- Love Tree Farms (cave-aged Wisconsin cheese)
- Star Thrower Farms (sheep-milk cheese, yarn, pelts)
- Singing Hills Dairy (goat chevre and feta)
- Sunrise Flour Mills (heritage wheat, rye and oat flours)
- Wild Run Salmon
- Veseli Vrsek Orchard (apples)
- Sweetland Orchard (hard cider, apple butter, jam)
- Beez Kneez (honey)
- Peter’s Pumpkins (jams, pickled goods, maybe winter squash)
- Moonshine Roasters (brewed coffee and beans)
- Groveland Confections (chocolates)
- Café Palmira (coffee beans)
- Ghorka Palace (chutneys)
- Body Bliss (facial, skin and laundry products)
- Sassy Knitwear (hand-dyed women’s and kid’s cotton clothing)
- SoMi Tileworks (ceramic tiles)
- Squeaky Sailor Soaps (handmade soaps)
- Primitive Precision Metalcraft (hand-forged metal jewelry)
If you have a small, chatty public-TV fan in your household, they should come out and meet TPT’s “Word Girl,” who’ll be making a special appearance.
Our February market is scheduled to have a few new faces: Bogart Loves Bakery, Nate’s Dogs and Julia Elise hand-dyed sewn accessories. If all goes great, we have the option for a March 23 market. Hope to see you there!
David Brauer is board chair of the Kingfield and Fulton Farmers markets and former Southwest Journal editor.
If you go …
Kingfield/Fulton Winter Markets at Bachman’s
Saturday, Jan. 26 and Saturday, Feb. 23
6010 Lyndale Ave. S., 10 a.m.-2 p.m.