Community rallies around victims of Lyndale fatal fire

LYNDALE – Several fundraising efforts have cropped up in the wake of a March 21 fire that claimed the life of a 25-year-old Minneapolis man.

The Lyndale Neighborhood Association is accepting funds on behalf of the street’s Block Club, and collected $500 at their open house on March 22 in the wake of the early morning fire at 3500 Harriet Ave. S.  

Mark Hinds, the executive director at the Lyndale Neighborhood Association, said the group will continue to collect donations through the end of the week. Anyone interested in contributing can call 612-824-9402 ext. 16 or contact
mark@lyndale.org.

Hinds said it remains unclear how the money will be used, but that 100 percent of the funds will go to support victims of the fire.

The efforts come in addition to a Paypal account that was set up by members of the band Cadette. The band’s drummer, Beth Cullen, lived at the home. Interested donors are encouraged to e-mail 3500HarrietFund@gmail.com for more information.

Officials at Boneshaker Books are also inviting guests to donate books in honor of Adam Briesemeister, who died of smoke inhalation while trying to rescue his fellow roommates.

Briesemeister, who moved to the Twin Cities in 2008 to perform with Inver Grove Heights-based Climb Theatre, volunteered at the bookstore every Thursday for the last year.

He was also an actor, activist and substitute teacher, who was involved with the Anarchist Book Fair and the Minnehaha Free Space. Friends say he fought passionately for what he believed in.

“He was very focused on working for what he believed in rather than against what he hated,” said Peter Thomas, who shared the Thursday volunteer shift with Briesemeister. “He had a very proactive, positive way of doing things.”

Three occupants escaped the fire, and one, Sadie Norlin, was taken to the Hennepin County Medical Center. A hospital spokesperson said Tuesday that she was still listed in serious condition. 

Officials with the Minneapolis Fire Department say a total of five people lived in the home.

Officials have determined that the fire began on the front porch of the three-story house, but it remains unclear how it started.