The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board has canceled tonight’s free concerts at Bryant Square Park and Lake Harriet because of the extreme heat and possibility of storms.
A decision on tonight’s Movies in the Parks still awaits. Go to www.minneapolisparks.org for the latest updates.
Earlier today, the city released a series of tips for dealing with today’s mid-90s weather. Some advice:
– Drink more fluids, and don’t wait until you’re thirsty. Don’t go for the alcoholic, caffeinated or heavily sugared variety.
– Don’t leave anybody or any animal in a closed, parked vehicle. Not even for five minutes or just one.
– Wear lightweight, loose-fitting clothing.
– Stay indoors and air-conditioned as much as possible. If you have to go outside, do it in the morning or evening.
– Don’t rely on fans. Yes, the air feels good, but they don’t protect against heat-related illness. Wet cloths or mist sprays, on the other hand, can help.