Fulton-area residents: Lock your garages.
That’s the message the city of Minneapolis sent neighbors yesterday. According to an e-mail alert, there were four unsecured garage burglaries in a two-day span, Aug. 19-20. There also was a secured garage burglary.
All occurred between 6:45 and 11 p.m. between the 4800 and 5200 blocks of Penn Avenue South to Upton Avenue South.
“A significant percentage of burglaries are crimes of opportunity and could easily be prevented,” the alert said.
For more information on how to prevent burglaries or how to get a home security survey, the city recommends contacting a crime prevention specialist. Fulton’s is Amy Lavender, who can be reached at 673-5407 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anyone with information about these crimes can call the Minneapolis Police Department’s tips line at 612-692-8477.
Police also advise residents to:
• Call 911 on suspicious activity.
• Lock doors and windows. If you leave windows open and unattended, pin them so they can’t open more than 6 inches.
• Record the make, model and serial number on all valuables, especially bicycles. If you have valuables without serial numbers, photograph the items. If you develop those photos at a store, don’t list your home address.
• Be aware of your neighbors’ typical activities and make them aware of yours; watch your neighbors’ property when they’re gone.
• Get a free home security check through the Minneapolis Police Department’s CCP/SAFE program. Call 311 to locate the SAFE staff for your block.
• Lock your car doors even when you’re in the vehicle, do not sit in the parked car.
• Do not carry excessive cash, credit cards, or other items. Bring only what you need.
• Write down the numbers and contact information for all your credit/debit cards so you can call and cancel them immediately if they are taken or lost. Keep this information in a safe location.