Minneapolis is seeking local artists to help spice up its streets.
The city has issued a request for proposals from artists who want to be the Artist in Residence in Transit Corridors. The artist will work for 12 to 14 months with the Community Planning and Economic Development department's Economic Development Division to develop artistic concepts and designs for three to four transit corridors under development in the city of Minneapolis.
“It's going to be a great opportunity for an artist because it's a big project,” said Mary Altman, the city's public arts administrator. Unlike other projects selected by the Art in Public Places program, this project will include multiple sites.
An artist or a team of artists may apply, and the city will pay up to $60,000 for the work. The artist or team of artists must be available from June 2006 to August 2007. The project's three goals are to:
– Promote the economic vitality of commercial corridors by enhancing their identity and aesthetic environments;
– Integrate artworks into public and private sector building projects; and
– Build the capacity of Community Planning and Economic Development staff and other city partners to integrate public artworks into their efforts.
CPED has recently been involved in public art projects along the Hiawatha LRT line, including the transit plaza at the Downtown East/Metrodome LRT station. Specific projects for this residency are still under consideration but may include:
– LRT pedestrian environments, such as Highway 55 under-bridge environments at Franklin Avenue and Lake Street or additional pedestrian improvements around the 46th Street and 50th Street stations;
– The Life Sciences Corridor; and
– The second phase of reconstruction of Lowry Avenue between Theodore Wirth Parkway and Girard Avenue.
Applications must be received by April 12. For a complete list of guidelines or more information, contact Mary Altman in writing at 612-673-2728 (fax) or firstname.lastname@example.org. More information can also be found at www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/dca.