Hennepin County will stage a household hazardous waste collection in Southwest on Saturday, June 4 at Armatage Park, West 58th Street & Russell Avenue South.
At the 9 a.m.-1 p.m. event, you can drop off the following items:
- Adhesives (flammable or petroleum-based)
- Aerosols (pressurized or containing product)
- Auto wastes (fuel additives, starter fluid, waxes, but no motor oil)
- Cleaning solvents
- Drain cleaners
- Driveway sealers
- Flammable liquids
- Fuels (gasoline, kerosene, diesel)
- Fluorescent and HID lamps
- Household batteries (AA, C, D, rechargeable, etc.)
- Lead-based paint chips
- Mercury items (thermometers, thermostats, etc.)
- Rechargeable appliances (cordless tools, weed whips, etc.)
- Paints, paint stripper, stains, varnishes, thinners
- Pesticides (insecticides, herbicides, etc.)
- Photographic and hobby chemicals
- Pool chemicals
- Wood preservatives
Common items not collected include appliances and consumer electronics, asbestos, construction debris, empty paint cans (you can throw those in the garbage), explosives, lead-acid batteries, oil, recyclables, tires or yard wastes.
Containers can be no larger than 5 gallons.
The county also maintains year-round drop-off sites at 1400 W. 96th St. in Bloomington and 8100 Jefferson Hwy. in Brooklyn Park. Call the county's 24-hour Info Line at 348-6500 for hours and materials accepted.
There's also information at the county's Web site, www.hennepin.us.