Crime-Prevention Specialist Jennifer Waisanen issued a crime alert for the Whittier neighborhood May 12, in response to six apartment burglaries in early May.
Whittier’s borders are Lyndale Avenue, I-35W, Franklin Avenue and Lake Street.
Waisanen said that most of the burglaries happened during the day; apartments were entered through first-floor windows. Burglars have stolen cash, jewelry and electronics. Waisanen gave various tips for burglary prevention in her alert. She suggests that residents:
- Report suspicious behavior by calling 911,
- Keep doors and windows locked,
- Rig windows with pins or wood fillers, so they can’t be opened beyond 6 inches,
- Add deadbolts to doors,
- Familiarize yourself with neighbors, so you can differentiate suspicious activity,
- If away, leave a light or the TV on, so it looks like someone’s home, and
- Start a block club.
For more information on crime prevention, visit www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/police/outreach/ or call Waisanen at 673-2815.