Fire displaces Whittier residents

Photo courtesy of Twin Cities Fire Wire
Photo courtesy of Twin Cities Fire Wire

The Minneapolis Fire Department reported only minor injuries in an Aug. 30 fire at an apartment building at the 2400 block of 1st Avenue South.

Assistant Fire Chief Bryan Tyner said officials determined a charcoal grill left unattended on a second-floor balcony caused the early morning fire.

Residents were assessed on the scene for smoke inhalation, and some were transported to the hospital for minor injuries.

Tyner recommended never leaving charcoal grills unattended, dousing the coals and replacing grill covers. Grills should not stand on balconies made of combustible material, he said.

Nightingale staff said the restaurant will accept donations through Sept. 8 for 10 adults who lost homes and most of their belongings in the fire. The restaurant at 2551 Lyndale Ave. S. accepts donations that include clothing, furniture and household items.

Browse

More in News